The season for outdoor living is upon us. If you are lucky enough to have a space where you can create a little space to relax outdoors, here are some tips to make the most of it.
1. Invest in comfortable, high quality outdoor furniture that you can use year after year. You don’t want to replace major pieces every season. Pillow covers and cushions are easily updated with the wide variety of indoor/outdoor fabric available.
2. Use color strategically. Choose a color that is a reflection of your style and use it in accessories, rugs, and small accent pieces. This will allow you to change out your design next season without blowing the budget.
3. Plant a variety of flowers and shrubs that will bring interest and function to your outdoor spaces. Do some research or hire a professional to design a garden that will reflect your space’s style, location and purpose. Be sure to plant things that are resistant to pesky bugs and animals and are low maintenance so that you can relax and enjoy your outdoor living area.
4. Rugs, pillows, tablecloths and curtains aren’t just for indoor spaces. There are thousands of options available that are suitable for outdoor living. Use an indoor/outdoor rug to add color and bring comfort to a patio or deck. Pillows and tablecloths provide comfortable seating and soft surfaces for intimate dining. Curtains can be used to create privacy from your neighbors or to provide shade in the heat of the day. The right fabrics and rugs can truly make your outdoor space feel like an extension of your indoor living areas.
5. Create warmth and ambiance with lighting and fire. Well placed solar lighting, candles in mason jars, white Christmas/outdoor lights or even a repurposed chandelier can allow you to use your space well into the night. A fire pit brings warmth to chilly evenings, sets a romantic mood and, of course, lets you make s’mores!
What ideas do you have for designing an outdoor space that is a reflection of you and your home? Practical or stylish, let us know in the comments.
*Photo courtesy of: bestoutdoorlivingrooms.blogspot.com